beget v : make children; "Abraham begot Isaac"; "Men often father children but don't recognize them" [syn: get, engender, father, mother, sire, generate, bring forth] [also: begotten, begot, begetting, begat]
- Rhymes with: -ɛt
- , Genesis 5:3
- And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:
to cause, to produce
- Czech: plodit
Creation may refer to:
In religion and philosophy:
- Creation myth, stories of how the world or a culture began.
(theology), the belief that one or more deities brought the
universe into existence.
- Creatio ex nihilo (English: Creation from nothing), the belief that a deity created the universe from nothing at all, rather than some pre-existing matter or energy.
- Creation according to Genesis, the creation account in the book of Genesis for Judaism and Christianity.
- Creationism, an ideology generally associated with not just God creating the universe, but also certain specific events afterward including the creation of animals and mankind.
- Creation Festival, an annual Christian music festival held in Mount Union, Pennsylvania and George, Washington
creation, the appearance of elementary particles, in physical
processes such as pair production; the process opposite of annihilation.
- Creation operator, an operator that increases the number of particles in a given state by one; an abstract representation of matter creation.
- Invention, the act of creating a new process or device
In the arts:
- The Creation of Adam, a fresco from circa 1511 on the Sistine Chapel ceiling painted by Michelangelo Buonarroti
- The Creation, a 1798 oratorio by Joseph Haydn
- Creation (1931 film), a 1931 film that inspired King Kong.
- The Creation (band), a British band known for their one hit "Painter Man" in 1967
- Creation (novel), a 1981 novel by Gore Vidal
- Kreator, a German thrash metal band founded 1982
- Creation Records, a record label created in 1983 by Alan McGee, also known for their spin-off Rev-ola Records
- Creation (band), a teen musical group, first album 2005
- Creation (album), a 2005 album from Leslie Satcher
- Creation magazine, a magazine promoting creation science published by Creation Ministries International–Australia (formerly Answers in Genesis–Australia).
- Creation Books, a British publishing company.
- Creation Entertainment, an American company that runs numerous science fiction and fantasy conventions.
- The Creation: An Appeal To Save Life on Earth (book), a 2006 book in advocacy of conservation, by biologist Edward O. Wilson.
beget in German: Creator
beget in Spanish: Creación
beget in French: Création
beget in Korean: 창조
beget in Italian: Creazione
beget in Japanese: クリエイター
beget in Norwegian: Skapelse
beget in Romanian: Creaţie (dezambiguizare)
beget in Simple English: Creation
author, be fruitful, be productive, bear, birth, breed, breed true, bring about, bring forth, bring into being, bring to birth, bring to effect, bring to pass, call into being, cause, coin, conceive, concoct, contrive, cook up, copulate, create, crossbreed, design, develop, devise, discover, do, dream up, effect, effectuate, engender, establish, evolve, fabricate, father, found, frame, fructify, generate, gestate, get, give being to, give birth to, give occasion to, give origin to, give rise to, hatch, improvise, inaugurate, inbreed, institute, invent, make, make do with, make love, make up, mature, mint, mother, multiply, occasion, originate, outbreed, plan, procreate, produce, proliferate, propagate, pullulate, realize, reproduce, reproduce in kind, set afloat, set on foot, set up, sire, spawn, strike out, teem, think out, think up, work